Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Caramel Sauce Tutorial


Ah, caramel sauce.  How I love you - let me count the ways.  I love you on ice cream.  I love you on apple pie.  I love you on pancakes.  I love you on a spoon...

Yes, I love caramel sauce.  But I'm not talking about the stuff you buy at the store for $4 a jar.  Nope.  For the past two months, I've been making my own caramel sauce!  And let me tell you, it tastes like you've taken Worthers caramels and melted them down into a gooey, liquid, delicious sauce.  Yum!  So of course I want to share the love and tell you just how to make this scrumptious sauce!  Now, I can't take credit for this recipe.  The recipe is actually from Ina Garten on Food Network, and can be found here.

DISCLAIMER: You must note that you will need a candy thermometer.  We are making candy folks, and unless you've dealt with candy before and know all the sugar stages then I would highly suggest purchasing a candy thermometer.  I bought mine for $3 at Meijer.  And we'll be dealing with molten hot sugar that will melt you like water on the Wicked Witch - SO BE CAREFUL!  This probably isn't a good time to have the kiddos in the kitchen.  End Disclaimer (for now).

Let's get started!  First, you will need the following:


1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup water
1 1/4 cups of heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract

I know, can you believe it?!  Only four ingredients to making the best caramel sauce EVER!

Next, mix the water and sugar together in a heavy bottom saucepan.


Cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 to 10 minutes.  Do not stir!

Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown (350 degrees on your candy thermometer).  This will take about 5-7 minutes.  Again, do not stir!  Gently swirl the pan (BE CAREFUL!) to stir the mixture.


As Ina says, watch it like a hawk!  (Okay, maybe she doesn't say just that)  The sugar will go from caramel to burnt very quickly, so 350 degrees is your magic number.

Once your candy thermometer reads 350 degrees, turn off the heat.  Stand back and slowly add the cream and vanilla.


Now, don't freak out!  The cream is going to bubble violently and the caramel is going to solidify.


Turn the burner back on low, and simmer, stirring constantly until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes.

Now comes the hard part, allow to cool to room temperature for at least 4 hours.  Okay, I know, I should have told you up front that you'd have to wait 4 hours but you would have thought I was a mad woman!  Wait 4 hours for caramel sauce when I could just go to the store and buy some in 15 minutes?!  I can hear you!  But please, your patience will pay off!  The sauce will thicken as it sits.  And no one said you couldn't sneak a taste...


Just have some self control, would you?!  Sheesh!

So, what are you going to do for the next 4 hours?  Well, wanna know what I did?  I made an apple pie!  Because what (what?!) goes better with caramel sauce than apple pie and maybe a little vanilla ice cream?!  Um, nothing!

I snagged my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (I won't show it to you, it's literally been run over by a car and is falling apart), and I turned to the classic apple pie.  The recipe calls for some amount of apples (don't really know how much, I never do pay attention to that).  I usually buy 6 large apples of two varieties.


This time I used 3 Granny Smith, and 3 Braeburn.  Now, why do I use two kinds of apples?  Well, I think traditionally people put Granny Smith apples in pies.  But to me, a Granny Smith is really tart and I like to cut that tartness a little with some sweet.  When I'm at the grocery store, I just look at the little cards above the apples and pick out a variety that claims to be sweet, crisp and good for pies.  Apparently, Braeburn apples fit that category.

Next, I peel, core and slice the apples and put them in a large bowl.

The bowl my grandma used to make tortillas in. :)
Then I add 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of AP flour, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.  I use my hands, and toss this together with the apples.


Then I ready the crust!

Okay, can I tell you a secret?


*Sigh*  Wow, I'm so glad I got that off my shoulders!  Now you know.  I don't make my own pie crust.  Truth be told, when I was 13 I attempted to make a scratch pie crust and it totally flopped.  I was so traumatized that I haven't tried since.  True story.  But my husband says I really ought to give it another go.  What does he know?  Anyway, refrigerated pie crusts are totally acceptable in my book.  They're super convenient and they taste great!  And I buy store brand stuff or whatever is on sale - it's not always Pillsbury.

Okay, now that we've covered that, let's move on.  I unroll one of the refrigerated crusts, and using a rolling pin, I stretch it a bit bigger so it will overhang the edge of my pie plate.  Then I add my apples.  I might just be a bit nutty, but I like to individually put each apple slice in my pie.  I figure, if I just dump the whole bowl in there may be little hidden crannies that don't get a touch of apple goodness.  So to me, it makes a difference.


See how pretty!

Then I stretch out my second crust (maybe I use a little cookie cutter and surgically remove an apple shape from the center), and apply it to my pie.  Then I flute the edge, brush on a little milk, sprinkle the top with sugar and cover the edge with foil.



Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.  Then remove the foil, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Yumm!
Oh, I just love how pretty a simple apple pie is!  And, it gives me an excuse to use this:


Why, yes that is the Longaberger cake basket complete with pie riser!

I know that didn't take 4 hours (though it may take you 4 hours to read this post - Wow, longest post ever!).  May I suggest going for a long stroll or some other form of cardio to preemptively burn off all those calories you're about to consume?  No?

Well, whatever you decide to do with your 4 hours, you'll be rewarded for your patience...


And you've really got to try it on apple pie.



Ah, there are no words.  I'm going to eat my caramel sauce and pie now, buh-bye!

5 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds amazing!! I think I have a new challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love caramel, too, and hate having to buy the expensive stuff. Thanks for sharing - I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY!!! I love caramel and my tart, deep dish apple pie ala mode is always a huge hit at Thanksgiving, but with this caramel sauce...sheer decadence! :o) Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WILL make this at some point... even if I have to eat the whole thing myself.
    Which wouldn't be so bad.

    ReplyDelete