Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Breakfast Muffins


As you can see, this is not your ordinary muffin.  Oh no!  This is like your entire breakfast in one yummy little package.

I'm not sure where this recipe came from, but my mother-in-law use to make these a lot.  Of course, she would add mushrooms (bleck).  You can too, if you like that sort of thing. :)  These have become a standard dinner in our household and a huge hit at family gatherings and company potlucks.  So much so that our former HR assistant  (Hi Matt!) said to me one day that I should start a new division of Little CooCoo Creations and call it Little CooCoo Catering.  Aww, bless his little HR heart!

So anyway, here's what you'll need:

2 pkgs. Grands Homestyle Golden Wheat Biscuits
1 pkg. Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage
1 pkg. of shredded cheddar cheese
1 large onion, finely chopped
6 eggs


I know, that's a giant onion, right?  We like onions in our house.  Some people like mushrooms...strange.  I know I'm going with a few name brands here, which isn't really like me.  But here me out.  Jimmy Dean is the only brand (that I've been able to find) that makes ground maple flavored sausage.  The maple really gives these muffins a great breakfast-y flavor.  And the biscuits...


those are kind of a must too.  They're Grands Homestyle Golden Wheat biscuits.  I've tried this recipe with just the regular Grands biscuits, but the wheat lends a better texture in my opinion.  And as for the Sargento cheese, well, that was on sale at Meijer last week otherwise you'd be seeing a store brand there.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Set your pan over medium heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil.  Add your onions and saute until tender and just starting to brown.  Add the sausage and work it into the onions.  Saute the onions and sausage until brown.


While your onions and sausage are working, you can start on the biscuits.  Take one biscuit and smoosh it on your work surface.  Using a rolling pin, roll out the biscuit into a large circle.


I use to do this by flattening it out with my hands.  It worked, but I've found a rolling pin is faster and more consistent.

Once you have a nice, large disc of biscuit, form this into the inside of a jumbo muffin tin.  Like this:


Continue with the remaining biscuits until your muffin tins are full.


My jumbo muffin tins only hold six muffins and I use two tins, so I end up with four biscuits left over.  Consume as you wish, or feed them to the dog like we do.

Back to the sausage!  You haven't forgotten about the sausage have you?  Oh good!  Now we add our eggs.


Scramble until the eggs are incorporated.  They will act as a binder in the mixture, and will help to hold in all the muffin goodness inside the muffins.


Next, add the cheese and reserve about a cup to use for the topping.

Mmmmmm...cheese!
After you've incorporated the cheese into the sausage and egg mixture, your filling is complete.


Scoop the filling into your biscuit lined muffin tins, and top with the remaining cheese.


Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the biscuits are done.


Then admire the cheesiness.  Mmmmm!


And these things are stuffed will all sorts of breakfast-y goodness!


Go, make some breakfast muffins!  Your family will love you for it! :)

10 comments:

  1. Ok those sound amazing! although I am one of the "strange" ones who dont like onion but loves mushrooms lol! I love you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You forgot the mushrooms!!!! :) Love ya anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the best breakfast muffins i've had you have everything you could want for breakfast in a muffin. LOVE THEM, i even had one last night yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, those look AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to make them for my boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI There! I am your newest follower from the blog hop!!! Lovely blog you have here:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    WOW these look SOOOOOO yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. these sound a.maz.ing!!! i can't wait to give them a try! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try these! My hubby loves maple syrup on his breakfast. The fam is going to love this! And it's a good excuse to buy jumbo muffin tins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is gonna marry me all over again when I make this for him!!! :)

    ReplyDelete